Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Blue-Green depost

My husband and I recently took a road trip and drove through Moab, Utah and Arches National Park. I kept seeing this blue-green dirt on the mountain side and was totally intriqued and wanted some of it for my collection. I did finally find a place to gather a little bit for collection. I finally got all of my samples logged in and numbered, hopefully, I will get them in vials soon. 

"It's the Morrison Formation! It's silty and muddy rock with some sandstones deposited in a river floodplain environment. The green stuff is iron deposited in an anoxic (underwater) environment, while the red is oxidized iron. The formation is also full of uranium. When you're driving around in southern Utah and see these green/red/white/purple sequences, it's usually either the Morrison Formation or the Petrified Forest member of the Chinle Formation."